This is similar to a few other topics on the forum, but I am going to go into a fair bit of detail here…
I am trying to import a data table (into an app variable). This data is (only) used to drive some mathematical/statistical formulas. I had previously succeeded in importing via an API but the 100 record ‘limit’ for Airtable ensured that my formulas fail due to the incomplete table.
I have read over and over again a few forum topics about creating a HTTP GET request that replicates that API but pulls the entire data set, but I simply cannot get it to work…so below is everything I have done. I am new to this and talking about no coding ability, that’s me…even things like api-keys I need to Wikipedia…it is a struggle at times but I usually get there but this has me stumped….
Note: I have this attached to a ‘button’ at the moment, longer term it would be ‘page mount’
Note II: One of the fundamental problems I have is not knowing how to test whether the http GET is successful. I tried populating an appVar with the first 100 records and couldn’t see it working in the debugger, so I am flying blind. Admiteddly, I am new to the debugger! But moving on….
Thanks for [ ] help. I had tested the http in an online tool (reqbin.com) previously but dropping it straight into the web browser had not occurred to me. I quickly grabbed the offset value and appended that and got the next 100 values too…I can see why those brackets are crucial now.
In terms of testing the API, yes, I see a response from that. Some of the formulas that use the output work and I can see the below in the debugger;
Getting closer…but not quite!
I think I have found the problem. I created a different button linked to a http request and an app variable that pulls back the offset value. It doesn’t work when I have the api_key in the header but does pull back a value with the api_key in the url.
My problem now is I cannot figure out how to get the api_key=123456 into the URL…confusing the issue is that my offset value has a forward/slash but perhaps that is normal.
Hi! did you find an answer or solution? I have the same trouble, i was googling every technical word to understand stept by stept, I made a mistake in m app variables (“test” in your case) and with your image an explanation i could find my error. am still stuck. Please if you got the solution post it. All no-coders like me will appreciate that.
No, I didn’t find the solution. I moved away from Airtable, there are other backends such as Google Firestore and Backendless where it is relatively easy to get around the pagination issue. You can still use an API for both…
Hi again! I just wanted to tell you that after hours and hours reading word by word all explanations related, i figure it out. In a next comment i will post stept by stept with images explaining what i did, maybe it would save a lot of time to future no-coders or you can try again if you want. I will try to quote everybody because, i found ell the answers in the forum from different community members in different topics, non of these were mine.
I’d like to second that. I’ve been struggling with this for the last couple of weeks. I can see the data, get the offset, get a second request, and then things fall apart. I’m most of the way there (I think) but just can’t get the pieces together. Thank you in advance for the guidance!
Hi again Now I am figuring out that… it was too much images. Anyway its done. Let me repeat that i am a no-coder, so maybe the language i used it is simply and not properly, aditionally Iam no native english speakers, so you can find some gramatical errors. But if you have any question please post it and quote me, i will try to answer you as soon as i can…
I considered people who post “got it” or similar, because this phrases let me know that it would work it.
Thanks every body for posting images, formulas or comments, I would not discover it by myself without this posts. I will continue using appgyver, and if i have new troubles in other things i will post it to get a solution …
I will try this out ASAP…I can already see that I’ve made a bunch of small mistakes in my approach that added up to nothing working. I am really looking forward to tonight when I’ll have time to try this out.
Thanks again…I will report back progress as soon as I have results…
A quick update: This is working beautifully! I can finally pull in my entire table. I only ran into two minor snags, which are easily fixed:
be sure to add the authorization header to the http request
be sure to reset ‘alllistings’ when you navigate away from the page. if you don’t, you’ll pull in duplicate (and triplicate, etc) values ‘alllistings’
I’m going to keep playing with this and will report back other findings. Right now I am trying to figure out how best to pull in the item details once you click on list item. Using HTTP requests like this is new to me.
Hi! Edvin_Rushitaj . Dont worry about yellow warnings. It also works ok. As i can see your data is pulling. Following your fields, your trying to pull images, i havent tried yet, because my data doesnt have images, but try with “Image URL” or “URL (any protocol)” value types or maybe “any text(matches all formats)”. I am posting some images to help you in your case.
Please comment back, if you have success or not, the more cases solved we have in the forum the more learning we get for future. Probably not now but in a few days i am going to pull data with images, so i am very interested.