Anyone have experience using Appgyver with Neo4J?

I’d love to know if anyone has experience using Neo4J, specifically, or a graph DB, in general, as a back-end. I’ve come to this community from Bubble and had initially intended to continue using Bubble for my backend.

That said, having settled in here, it occurs to me that the world is now my oyster, as far as choice of a backend goes. That realization has prompted me to begin educating myself more about database structure in general, and I’m now thinking a GDB might be the best choice. I’m considering using Parabola to manage some of the data transforms that I would have otherwise constructed in Bubble.

Neo4J has a generous startup program, a beautiful visual browser and Restful API. Am I being naive or overlooking any major hurdles here? Appreciate the insight.

Cheers,

T.S.

Looking at Neo4J’s documentation quickly, the default REST API is quite complex and might require work to fit into Composer’s REST API direct integration format. It’s also much more a “deploy and manage yourself” low-level pure DB (even though they offer hosted solutions) rather than a productized service.

Of course, you can always use HTTP request directly and wrap it with a flow function to build your own library of Neo4J connector flow functions!

If you are confident you can manage the technical aspects, I don’t see any issues, but I’d do a bit of testing around the use cases before committing

1 Like

You know, I have zero backend development experience, and the more I look at this, the more I’m leaning toward sticking with Bubble as my defacto backend starting out. I just worry about how scalable/cost-effective that will be. @SeanHoots you probably know where I’m coming from. What would be your recommendation? The application I’m building will connect food professionals and consumers with regional food producers. Users will be able to contribute dishes, ingredients and ratings and participate in food-sport competitions, etc. The social networking aspects of the app and the need for smart, efficient queries and content recommendations are what have me interested in graph DB’s. But I guess it would also be possible to transition at a later time. I’m a little out of my depth here atm.

If it’s any use. I’m looking at using strapi (strapi.io) for my backend after I finish experimenting. Basically it is an open source headless CMS that serves all your data/content through a rest api.

2 Likes

Anyone here tried BaaS providers like Backendless or Back4App?

I’ve given them a small test run and they both seem like good options. Although, still looking for a more ‘no-vendor-lock-in’ friendly/inexpensive BaaS option.

@Dylan_Graham Strapi seems to lack a lot of proper BaaS features, but would love to know more about how your experience has been?

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Strapi looks really interesting. I could see it serving my needs if combined with something like Parabola to handle back-end workflows.

I’d love to hear what you’re looking for in a BaaS. I’ve been evaluating some of these same options but It’s my first time doing so, and I think hearing other folks’ evaluation criteria could be insightful.

Best of luck!

Well, a good BaaS for me would consist of:

1. Authentication
  2. User Management
  3. Relational database
  4. Push Notifications
  5. Custom fields/Formula fields/Field validations/Field aggregators
  6. Business Logic/Cloud functions/Webhooks
  7. Database security with CLPs and ACLs
  8. Most of this accessible via auto-configured REST APIs
  9. Load-Balancing/Auto Scaling
  10. ‘No Vendor Lock-in’