API usage advice

Hi all,
I am currently using appgyver with backendless as the back end service (API usage & database). I have come to the realisation while developing and testing that my API usage is getting quite high. I am making an app that requires a lot of database usage, however even for just me I know that if I ever release this and people start using it the API volume will be super large. In appgyver I am pretty much always calling an API to get a data collection or single data source to do GRUD operations.
How have people reduced their API volume? Should I be calling an API, then saving this data to page variables and manipulating data in pages variables / app variables rather than calling an API several times?

An insight into how people have managed this would be great! Thanking you in advance.

Hello, the same thing happened to me a few days ago. In just a few hours, building my app, my firebase data quota reached the limit. It was 5gb in 2 hours. I have a simple database and only I use it.
I was trying to download the data locally following an example from the forum, but I couldn’t get it to work.
I am waiting for other opinions
Regards

@Tim_McIntosh @Pablete I use Backendless as well. This is a common occurrence in which repetitive API calls every few seconds on a page can cause just the act of leaving an active data-retrieving page open for a few hours in preview to burn (in our case) 2,000-10,000+ calls. The solution bouncing around the forums here for a while now is to slow down that call rate via use of a delay.

If you’re building a social app, a good starting rate might be every minute and a half for API calls. This keeps your calls at a stable limit per user while also allowing updates/in app notifications to be shown. Hypothetically (we’re still experimenting with this), for a web app, you could set the call rate at such a high time period that it would appear to the user that the page loads once and that’s it. Up to you.

This thread and a few others covers it decently. See Erin’s Page Layout logic: