AppGyver joins SAP!

AppGyver joins SAP!

Title says it all! Read more about why this is a very awesome thing for the product and community:

https://blog.appgyver.com/appgyver-joins-sap-2afe2d902645

2 Likes

Naturally, every normal user’s blood pressure just spiked – along with some curiosity as to whether this means more resources for the AG team to move things along at an accelerated (but stable) pace.

One big question in regards to: "Will the pricing or the role of the indie developer community change?"

The first part of the question was never actually answered – or answered in a way that left it very ambiguous as to whether Appgyver will remain a free-to-use platform for indie developers. It’d be very good to know sooner rather than later whether we need to start anticipating monthly recurring costs and the like to use the platform.

Thanks.
Dom,

2 Likes

I guess if you’re looking to get out of the business, an acquisition is a good way to go. I remember being really, really upset when Macromedia was acquired by Adobe in 2005. But then a couple years later, all of the tools that I used and loved were suddenly incorporated into one awesome package - Adobe Creative Suite 3. Over the years though, one by one, most of Macromedia’s tools have been discontinued, or have fallen into obscurity.

I really hope SAP has a long-term vision for no-code indie developers that is in line with AppGyver’s vision and existing pricing model. I have barely completed phase 1 of the app I’m working on, and there is already talk of phase 2 and 3. I’d love to be able to depend on Composer Pro (or whatever the new name will be) for this app’s continued development, as well as all future apps to come!

4 Likes

I don’t want to assume anything until we have a definite answer, but I see what you mean. Acquisitions certainly have proven (especially in tech companies) to be rather hit-or-miss. Maybe they’ll go about this change a bit differently – in a good way, hopefully – than what we’d normally expect.

I don’t mean to sound ungrateful for the incredible value they provide, however. I just need to know what to expect in greater detail so that I can plan around it.

Ultimately, I’d say continue your work. We’ll probably have a grace period of some type if there are major pricing changes so that it’s not like running into a brick wall. All we can do is wait and see and hope they’ll be open and transparent with their long-term plans.

1 Like

I myself prefer to pay for something rather than using a free plan. It just gives me confidence that there will be continuity of service and regular quality/feature updates. The exception being quality opensource platforms - Wordpress is a good example.

I have been keeping an eye on AppGyver’s rise in the last 2 years, it has been incredible - No free app builder can match this. Also AppGyver is truly the only decent nocode native app builder in the market.

What concerns me with SAP’s acquisition is the change to price plans free or paid. If you look at the price of Mendix, it’s very high. And some of the big/medium players in the market always use the “pay per user” model as opposed to pay per app.

Anyway I hope they keep Appgyver and release any pricing change news as soon as possible to provide confidence to customers, otherwise customers will have to move on.

3 Likes

Thanks for the messages, everyone! We clarified our plans regarding pricing in an update to the blog, so see the beginning of the second chapter for more information. Sorry for any confusion or concern caused!

The acquistion means that additional resources will become available for the AppGyver team, allowing the platform’s development to progress. Furthermore, being part of SAP means that you can count on us to stick around, and rest assured that your app project will be safe to develop on our platform.

For your convenience, here are the new chapters added to the blog post:

There will be a free indie tier, though some new features (such as organization support or an integrated Backend-as-a-Service offering) will be for paid users only. The plan is also to make paid features available with a trial period and with pricing that works for smaller companies too.

As for the apps you have already built and deployed under AppGyver’s free tier plan, or apps currently under development and soon to be released, nothing will change for you — everything created under the current free tier will remain available as before.

Let me know if there are any more questions!

2 Likes

Check out also https://blog.appgyver.com/free-tier-is-here-to-stay-8a73a532414 for more on this!

3 Likes

Thank you, this sounds great! Based on your announcement, the probably most rated feature request which is in your backlog for the longest period of time (=custom plugins) will be make a big difference for broadening the developer community once it is available! :smiley:

1 Like

Congrats on this major milestone in your journey AG team. I’m looking forward to your progress under SAP. OrientDB was also similarly acquired and it’s true that SAP is community focused.

1 Like

It seems that SAP is not very interested in nocode solutions for indie developers, because they can change the game rules significantly. So, I really hope that this acquiring doesn’t mean further pulling down and ruining…

I have a different pov on this: With the move to the cloud, SAP could not transition their large ABAP developer ecosystem as ABAP is of course not the language of choice for Cloud based solutions.
While they put massive efforts in a cloud platform with focus on business features, they struggled to build up a another large dev ecosystem (also due to market dominance of AWS, Azure,…).
Now AppGyver could be a great way to let companies build applications for their SAP business backends quickly. However, if SAP sales is able to sell AppGyver to their installed base at scale (and I bet they will), the biggest question from their customers will be: Where can I get developers who know how to develop apps in Appgyver? (like all other no code solutions, “no code” does not mean that you dont need expertise in the tool ;-))
For this, it would make lots of sense to also let the indie developer scene grow and provide an attractive offering for small customers.

1 Like

Totally agree. I dont even think that SAP might charge clients for this functionality. They need to push for cloud solutions and competition is ahead with no-code solutions. So if they offer Cloud customers a good tool like appgyver to enhance existing functionality on SAP Cloud Platform that will be a major point to go for cloud which will be the area where SAP will make the money.

2 Likes

Hello everybody,

To be really honest: I never heard about appgyver before until I saw the press release from SAP. I’ve been developing for years now in the SAP area and discovered Mendix in 2017. This became more interesting when they became a Solex partner of SAP.

For me (as being responsible for the development group within our company in NL) it is important to know how appgyver can help our customers and how it can “compete” with the Mendix offering. But even more important: what are the plans of SAP with appgyver? Lets see what the future will bring :slight_smile: Sap has a specific kind of history with acquisitions. :slight_smile:

All the best
Laurens

3 Likes

Well, it’s a relief to see things shouldn’t change too harshly. I really appreciate that, Appgyver. Thank you.

2 Likes