Becoming a No-coder - Part 6 (Creating Login) - AppGyver and Xano

This video will start with about 5-7 minutes of UI cleanup from the previous video. The remainder of the video will be setting up Login from AppGyver through Xano. I have left in some of the debugging of my own mistakes. I am hoping that helps everyone understand how to work through issues that come up as you no-code with Xano and AppGyver :slight_smile:

1 Like

Question for you @Steve_Stava: After learning about Xano here on the forums from you, I submitted a request to get into the Xano beta. Do you have any idea what their criteria are for evaluating potential users?

Our project is very complex, so I’m not 100% sure that it would work. But I’m eager to try!

Also, I’m not seeing anything about pricing. Do you have any info on this?

Thanks for sharing your expertise with us!

Hi Erin, Good to hear from you and thanks!

I don’t have any pricing information.

When I requested early access it was mainly so they could give an overview of how to think about Xano and generally how to use it.

I would be interested in your project if you are able to share! I am happy to give my 2 cents worth if that helps.

@Steve_Stava, I just got off my onboarding call with Xano. We’ll see how it goes!

I’ve built an app that automatically plans hangouts by comparing friends’ calendars and interests: https://www.gomigo.app

I’m in the middle of implementing a new feature set, but I will totally hit you up to user test once it’s ready for a fresh pair of eyeballs! Thanks for the offer :slight_smile:

Excellent! Good luck. I am definitely willing to help however I can

@Erin_Wagner

Xano gave me a demo the other day, it was great and the perfect complement to Steve’s tutorials.
RE pricing, they said the trial version would be free, and the next tier plan would cost around 30 usd / month. This is purely indicative.

I’d go with Xano for my marketplace project if I was not feeling overwhelmed by the ‘sign-up’ and ‘login’ setup as showcased by Steve. Memberstack would make things easier but it is 30 usd a month, just for the needed login/signup features.

Is anyone familiar with Firebase or the combo Google Sheets / NoCodeAPI tool? I am really looking for the simplest setup.

Thanks all.

@Fred_Kuzyk Let me know if I can help with Xano. I am happy to work through anything that doesn’t make sense, yet.

Thanks @Steve_Stava! I see you created a few accounts :slight_smile: Heads up that it’s all completely non-functional at the moment–had to make some changes to our server that won’t be reflected in the app until the next update.

I got my Xano onboarding meeting yesterday! Not sure that we’ll use it because we already have so much built out, but geez I wish I had had it four months ago…

For anyone else checking out the thread, @Fred_Kuzyk was spot-on with the $30/mo. The highest cost tier was $100/mo (both annual–slightly higher if you’re paying monthly).

@Fred_Kuzyk, I know @William_Glass is using Firebase and has ambitions around sign-in feature sets.

Steve,
Very kind of you.

I am following the Core Lessons by AppGyver as we speak. I’m just now starting to harness the concept of page variables and page parameters.

But I have a few best practice questions abt database structure if I may:
My Fiverr-like platform will welcome users with a need (user profile details such as name, age, gender and ability to write down and submit their needs to the platform with keywords) and service providers (profile with more information such as description of service provided, tags/keywords, reviews).

• Shall I create in Xano one single 'Users" table or create two separate tables imperatively?
  • Shall I have a specific table in Xano for tags (keywords) too?
  • A specific table for the users’ request submissions, and for the exchange happening btw the user and the service provider within the platform’s messaging system? (these would be linked to the users/providers via id linking)

By the way, i saw your excellent article Stop Doing Time & Materials Consulting and I so totally agree.

Thanks Steve for all your contributions.

1 Like

Erin,

Why do you wish you had Xano earlier? Since I’m shopping around and feel attracted by their service, I am interested to know what you found compelling in their offering compared to what you have now?

I find their pricing on the expensive side of backend offerings. Firebase seems to be the reference yet it is more affordable yet it is highly robust and trusted. Hoping @William_Glass can jump into this conversation.

Thanks.

1. I would just have one user table. There are a few reasons why, but to keep it short, you could have a user with “needs” and a user who serves as a “supplier”. You wouldn’t want your users to have to understand why they had to create 2 separate accounts.

2. Yes, I would have a separate table for the tags/keywords for the users. I am assuming a user will have zero to many tags that they can create. Would I be correct in assuming that each submission by a user could have different tags/keywords? If so, you would want to have a submission associated with each tag/keyword and that submission associated to a user.

3. Yes, I agree you would want a separate submissions table and you would want an association between the submission table and the messaging happening.

Table thoughts: User(id, name,…); Submission(id, name, description, user_id,…); Tag(id, name, submission_id,…); Conversation(id, conversation_id, user_id,…); Message(id, text, conversation_id,…); Message_Participant(id, message_id, user_id, sender[boolean],…)

I am a fan of building out a few tables with the first few columns I know I will need and then building a couple of screens that use those apis (nothing pretty or even functional!) Just enough to give me an idea of what I might be missing.

I will guarantee that you will have some discovery moments and need to tear-down or refactor what you started with. The nice thing is that is a lot less emotionally damaging with no-code. With code, you typically have more of a time investment and it can take a bit to convince yourself to refactor/change large portions of what you just built.

I have some table structure thoughts for managing messaging when you get to that point. Just let me know and I will share. I built an example app (a few times) until I got the table structure right :slight_smile:

Thanks for reading the article! I appreciate you letting me know you like it. It is the only way to go with consulting…it is th only way to manage a project with a client. Oddly enough, no-code makes that approach a little bit more straight forward :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Fred_Kuzyk I’m using Firebase since it has a lot of the features I need in one place plus there were multiple tutorials in the forums on how to setup Firebase Authentication. The key is figuring out what are the most important elements you need then pick a backend that has those.

Unfortunately, you can’t tap into all of the robust features that Firebase offers at the moment as there is no way to embed the SDK into AppGyver. That SDK is crucial in connecting to all of Firebases services. I believe @Pekka_Aaltonen and the AG services team have built using Firebase SDK in the past but those logic nodes are not publically available and have to be reworked.

Once 3rd party plug-ins are enabled on the runtime upgrade that will open up Firebase SDK to be plugged in directly and add many other services at that point the AG platform will be easily 10X more valuable (maybe more) in my mind. It will truly separate AG from the other No Code platforms out there.

Fred - I wouldn’t kill yourself on making the absolute perfect decision on your back end. Your app will change and needs will change as you get feedback and time in the market. So use your best judgement and just start building.

1 Like

@William_Glass, great input!

@Fred_Kuzyk, my app addresses a complex use case, and I’ve put more than $20K of my own money into having a developer build and rebuild the back-end as I better understand what my product needs to be. (I have to second @William_Glass here–I did hundreds of customer interviews (many with mockups/prototypes) before jumping into the build, and it wasn’t until customers had a functional thing in their hands that they thought to share some fundamental facts about how they wanted to use it. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I think most people just aren’t capable of working with hypotheticals.) If I had had Xano, it would have been just $100/mo, so somewhere between $500 and $900. I haven’t actually delved in to see if it lives up to its promises, but it looks like it’s capable of doing almost everything we’ve built out ourselves.

Summary: I would be $19,000 richer if I had had Xano when I started my project.

2 Likes

Thanks for this also. Xano is insane and I love it with AppGyver. I’m hoping your next tutorial parts show how to handle the expiry of the auth token, then I’m sorted!

Second @Erin_Wagner if Xano had tutorials earlier when I was starting out probably would’ve used them especially if @Steve_Stava keeps posting them. Whatever backend is the easiest and the most effective way to solve your users’ problems.

Now the sunk cost fallacy has taken over on my existing projects and the switching cost is too high. Perhaps in future projects.

1 Like

Good timing with your comment…I was able to get a few more videos out today :slight_smile:

Thank you @Steve_Stava,

Your videos are brilliant. Very easy to follow and you explain it very well. :+1: I have just swapped backend to Xano so all very new.

I have one question, not related to this tutorial but to your search field tutorial. I have now got my search field up and running, but I cant get pictures to come through. It worked with my old database. Text is coming through just fine from 2 tables but missing the image. I have current.Picture.path in the formula but not sure if I need .url or something else. Any idea?

Thanks Dan! I am glad that the videos are helping :slight_smile:

As far as your image display problem, it could be a few things depending on the details:

1. Test the Xano API from the Xano “Run and Debug” option and confirm the data being returned has a valid picture/image path.

2. I would confirm the API is returning all of the data you expect. Especially a full and valid image path. I typically confirm my APIs by running the AppGyver data resource Test for the API. The results should show a full path and you should be able to copy and paste the picture path into a browser and see it in the browser window. If not, the problem is with the image path being invalid.

3. If you are image was uploaded to Xano and you are retrieving the image path via a Xano API then make sure that you have added the Xano base URL to the relative image path.

4. There is a URL(current.Picture.path) formula in AppGyver that you can use when assigning the image path to a image component.

Feel free to share some of the details of the API, image location and such and I will help you further if the above recommendations don’t get you there.

Thank you @Steve_Stava for your reply and for your help.

This is the image path I am getting, not sure if this is correct.

/blob/a0ZRLg.i02GVjUSqBA/Cappadocian+Maple_leaf.jpg

Do I need to set up a image input field in Xano, like you do with a search query as I haven’t don’t that?

I have the URL current.Picture.path formula set but not sure if I need something more added to this formula.

Dan,
You only have the relative image path. That is not the complete path. If you were to put that in your browser web address you would not see the image :slight_smile:

If you go to my video peart 12-B at 10 minutes and 45 seconds that section will walk you through how to set up an environment variable in Xano with the base URL to get concatenated to the front of that relative image path.

After you have listened to that part of the video I’m hoping it becomes more apparent what needs to be done. If not, definitely let me know as a reply to this comment and I will get you through it

1 Like