Beginner - database

Good day.
I am a complete beginner in this community.
Can you advise me?
I would like to create an information retrieval application.
Is there a way to store that information in a database?
The sentence line consists of five columns.
An example would help me a lot as a beginner.
Thanks.
Ondrej

Hello Ondrej, welcome to the community!

To learn how data works in Composer, I suggest you check out some of our tutorials:

Quick Onboarding Videos: Data resources and REST
Core Lessons: Data & Integrations

Hope these help! :slight_smile:

Hello Mari! Thank you for email. Forgive my English … I am 66 years old and as a programmer I used MAT4, COBOL, CLIPPER, PASCAL, VISUAL BASIC and VISUAL FOXpro … I only speak technical expressions from English. Now on my old knees I want to learn how to create a simple mobile app … As a database for my mini project, I rather considered a local database, e.g. SQlite, which would be in the application’s assets, so that the user of the app does not have to connect to the Internet. Can AppGyver work with any local database? Thanks for the reply. Ondrej

po 25. 1. 2021 o 17:20 Mari Hirvi via AppGyver <appgyver2@discoursemail.com> napĂ­sal(a):

Hi, yes that’s possible! You could use either an app variable or a client-side storage resource for that. Does the user need to be able to make changes to the data or is it enough if it gets initialized when the app opens?

Good day! On the client side, there should be a database with about 200 rows of 5 columns. The client does not make changes, it should only be able to search for rows in the db and display columns. Ondrej

ut 26. 1. 2021 o 13:02 Mari Hirvi via AppGyver <appgyver2@discoursemail.com> napĂ­sal(a):

Hi Ondrej, in this case the simplest way to do this is a “list of objects” type app variable with 5 properties:

You’ll be able to set the initial values of the app variable in the right column, this will be done every time the app starts up:

The user interface is not the best for adding 200 objects, but it will work.

Another, maybe more user-friendly way to populate the app variable is to create it as above, not add any initial values, and go to the Global canvas page, and there on the Logic Canvas use the “Set App variable” flow function after “App launched” to achieve the same thing.

Hi Mari!
Thanks for the example.
Another question: Are those values stored in variables retained for the next run of the application?
Ondrej

Yes, these values will be initialized on app startup, so they will be the same at every run. However, if something is changed in an app variable during a run, those changes won’t be carried over to the next run, since it will be initialized again at the beginning.

1 Like

Hi Mari.
It will probably be more questions after these days if you are not angry …

I created those variables, but now I don’t see a way to initialize them … I made a mistake somewhere …

Ondrej
obrázok.png

ut 26. 1. 2021 o 16:46 Mari Hirvi via AppGyver <appgyver2@discoursemail.com> napĂ­sal(a):

Hi, no problem! Looks like you have created five different app variables, when you need to create just one, and then on the right panel define its type as “List” and the list item type as “Object”. Then use the “Add new property” field to add the 5 properties to your object.