Chat component?

I want to put a chat function in my app, yet didn’t find any option to make it possible. Do you have anything in mind how I could manage that?

There’s no packaged chat component yet (going to do that with upcoming composite components v2, which enables a lot more robust functionality to be packaged into components), unfortunately, so you’ll have to build it yourself.

We’ve implemented chat for a few customer projects so it’s definitely possible. You need a sensible data schema, and then you just repeat the messages record collection. You can easily do things like showing the chat bubble on the right side of the screen if the created_by user ID of the message matches the current user ID, and left side otherwise with style formulas. You can get quite far with just AGDB, but things like push notifications would currently require a custom backend.

I’ve put a chat tutorial on our video backlog, I’ll see when we can get there!

4 Likes

@Harri_Sarsa, where can I find that tutorial and video backlog? I am very interested on building a chat app as well. Thanks!

3 Likes

There’s no packaged chat component yet (going to do that with upcoming composite components v2

Is there a plan when it comes out? I can’t find it on tracker.appgyver.com.

I would love this too!! I want to build an app that revolves around a chat component. Happy to build with some instruction!!
Laura

1 Like

We’re in the final stretches of the new runtime, which will give us the necessary foundation to build and roll out a ton of powerful components, so stay tuned on that. We’ll also be launching AppGyver Academy soon, which will include a ton of video content and tutorials. Sorry for the huge delays and my epicly failed estimation skills, but getting there!

2 Likes

Hi Harri,

I understand that the IM chat feature isn’t available yet but is it possible to implement a Direct message function to an app I am working on like the LinkedIn app for example? and If so (referring to the LinkedIn example), isn’t it then possible to have a messaging function that will both act as a direct messaging and Instant Messaging (chat) function on an app? By the way, how can I be notified why this chat functionality comes to Appgyver?

My second question is this, does Appgyver provide API functionalities as I am planning on including hashtag features on my app so I will like to know if these option is available with appgyver?

Also, my platform will be a social media website and app similar to twitter, FB and Instagram (but certainly not as big as they are at the moment), what type of database/server offered by Appgyver will you recommend we use for an MVP level project planning on hosting a few thousand users over the coming months?

Finally, is there a direct telephone number and email that I can use to contact the Appgyver team?

Thanks.

Can’t express how excited I am for this ^^