Database recommendation list

Hi,

we searched the internet the docs etc.
We can’t find a database compatibility list.

Is there a database rest API compatibility list for Appgyver?
Should that be a growing list in the documents ???

SQL wise we saw:
Xano - only 100 rows? not really good for beta testing
Backendless - could be an option (corrected :slight_smile:
firebase - copying stuff instead of joining it not really suitable for our app (we assuming)

We like to build a job / project portal web app and mobile app.
And like to do it with an SQL backend.
members, roles, projects, etc. tables.

we saw 8Base but it seems to have no REST API
Airtable - is not scaleable so kind of was of time.

So we wondering what is the best solution for us?
postgresSQL with rest API?

any nocode backend that actually makes sense?
we saw nocoDB - would be amazing - but doesn’t work probably yet…

THANK YOU ALL

1 Like

I’m curious, can you describe an example of when you’d need a N:N relation? As far as I’m aware, relational (i.e. SQL) databases don’t support many-to-many relationships.

thank you for the input yes you are correct - real SQL DB we would use a junction table to create an N:N relation ship. I corrected the N:N comment on backendless - there is actually new dbs in other tools that offer N;N i think even Xano does, but I guess they just using a “hidden junction table” to achieve the function.

Anyways our main topic was - is there a DB list for appgyver somewhere?

2 Likes

I guess that is why Bubble has so more traction the community is vibrant and fast and has templates, recommendations thousands of tutorials…

its a shame appgyvers builder looks so much more promising but its hard to understand if no one is there explaining it.

How to build beautiful designed responsive web & mobile apps.
Which database works best - when to use noSQL when to use SQL (backendless looks the best here) etc etc

Unfortunately the community is rather small for now. I believe this has to do with the fact that there’s no support for monetisation yet, therefore not many people are going to be interested in spending their time on something which they cannot make money with (for the vast majority of cases).

I am not sure I understand what you seem to be complaining about. AppGyver is a visual programming tool which you use to develop the front-end of your application with little to no code. That’s it. This isn’t different to standard software development: you choose a framework to build your front-end and a platform to build your back-end. It is impossible to tell you what database you should use for your back-end, because that would depend entirely on the requirements for your application. Whether your database isn’t scaleable, or doesn’t support X feature, has usually little to do with how you choose to build your front-end.

The only constraints from AppGyver you need to be aware of are, as of right now:

1. You can only connect to your back-end via REST API. That means no direct integration with your database (you shouldn’t be doing this anyway, even with regular code), no fancy stuff like GraphQL, etc.

2. You cannot use any third-party libraries, so no SDKs, programming toolkits, etc. This means no actual support for things like real-time connections (i.e. websockets), specific functionality or simply much easier ways to do certain stuff without having to hack your way around it.

So you’re either using a low code / no code platform which exposes a REST API, or you build yourself your own custom back-end API and deploy it in AWS, Azure, GCP, etc.

In our case, we chose Backendless because it has clear pricing, an easy and well-documented API, comes with most of the functionality we needed out-of-the-box, seems scaleable enough to get started, has good technical support and allows you to add your own code where required. This is in no way an endorsement to them, just an observation/opinion based on our own requirements.

Hope that helps!

1 Like