Formula editor I-beam position confusion

Hi,

I’m having this very frustrating issue when I’m editing longer formulas the cursor position doesn’t match up to where actually data entry takes place. For example if I try and place the cursor in the middle of a formula, I’ll actually be able to edit the text 6 or so characters before where I put the cursor.

It makes editing long formulas impossible which is very frustrating.

Any tips?

It happens on chrome, Firefox and safari.

1 Like

Hi,

Have you been able to find a consistent way to get this problem to appear? Because I’ve seen this issue as well, but only sometimes, and I haven’t been able to reproduce it in a way that our team would have been able to fix it :confused: If you have any pointers, it would be super helpful in getting this fixed!

Sometimes, because I struggle with the text edit box anyway (too small and inflexible - as an aside have you used the web version of Postman (postman.com) - they have really nailed this) so often I use another editor to create the formulas and then copy them into the formula window in platform - I think that often messes things up.

For me it’s the biggest single usability issue, and one that marks platform out as less mature than, say, Postman.

1 Like

Thanks for answering! I haven’t used the web version of postman, but thanks for the pointer. Even with the copy-pasting I wasn’t able to get a consistent reproduction of this, but I’ll keep trying to find one anyway.

I see this issue regularly, too. I’m not sure exactly how to reproduce it, but I find that as soon as I’m editing it within the box and the formula passes 5-6 lines, it’s pretty much a guarantee to start happening. I doubt length is the only determinant, but at that length, there’s usually a lot of nested parentheses and brackets and commas, and at that point I think the parser starts to freak out.

2 Likes