Formula for "Select Items Initially" in List with Selection

I am using a Checkbox with a List Resource bound to the component. There are 10 available selections. An app user will have selected some number of these during signup and they are stored in an object with objects value (id is the key) matching the id in the list resource. What I am trying to figure out is how to populate the checkboxes when a user arrives with what they already selected. It seems like I can use the “Select Items Initially” with a formula but am struggling to return an array of true/false values to populate the checkboxes. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Does anyone have any ideas on this? It seems like a pretty simple but can’t get it to work. For the Select items initially I am using a formula that looks like this:

IF(CONTAINS(appVars.stringwithuservalues, data[“Possible Values1”][0].name),true,false)

Where the appVars.stringwithuservalues is a comma seperateed list of the strings that are names in the data[“Possible Values1”].name fields. No matter how I mess with it I get everything selected or nothing selected. If I had build the component myself and used a repeater this would work but it doesn’t seem to work in a whole component.

@appgyver1 any suggestions on this since it is a component built/maintained by you (I think)?