Idiots guide to setting up google sheet API

Hi All,

Does anyone have an idiots guide to setting up the google sheet API? I’m not very experienced dev wise and have created a web app to capture survey data that is then transformed in google sheets (via a series of formulas and lookups) and sent to PDF Monkey via Integromat.

Ideally, I’d like like to post the app variables to create a new row in an existing google sheet t, google sheets would run a number of formulas and lookups to complete the data and then either send it back to the app to push directly to PDF monkey via API OR Integromat can grab it from Google sheets.

I’m on a mission as an MVP to not have to move into paid plans yet if there is a way I can do it. I’ve seen a few recommended platforms which have paid plans that can do what I’m after but like I say trying to keep this free as its currently a side-hustle idea.

Appreciate any advice or articles you can direct me to

Cheers
David

Hi! I don’t think we have anything like this, but if you prefer a Google Sheets -like format, I would recommend looking into Airtable, as a lot of our users have seemed to like using that as their backend, and there are tutorials on that :thinking: But if you’re set on Google Sheets, maybe have a read through this thread.

The kind of data transformations you can do in Google Sheets you can instead do easily with our formulas!

1 Like

Hi Mevi,

Thanks for the response, I did indeed end up going with Airtable using their free plan for 1,200 records - it will at least be enough for an MVP, it was relatively easy to set up but I did find there was some data transformation functionality (complex vlookup type formulas) that it couldn’t handle and had to get creative to achieve the outcome I was looking for.

I did try to use in app formulas and was fine for numerical calculations but I found that I got stuck when wanting to do nested if statements and vlookup type data transformations. I’m sure there is a way to do it but perhaps beyond my technical knowledge.
Thanks!

1 Like

Formulas can get quite complex on occasion – if you have an example of something you didn’t get to work I can see if I can figure it out, although no guarantees :sweat_smile: In complex cases, it might be easier to just use a custom javascript box or then perhaps divide the formula into smaller parts, saving into excess page variables in between.

Hi Mevi,

Thanks for the suggestions particularly splitting the formula into smaller parts and saving to excess page variables, I’ve since been able to do a couple of nested if statements (I had wrongly assumed that it wasn’t possible to do them) so think that we can get more complicated with that.

Cheers
David

1 Like