Image Resource Questions

Two questions about image resources:

1. The uploaded images go to s3, do they get included in the built application bundle or will the app pull them from s3 every time?

2. Is there a way to delete old images from s3?

Thanks
-Russ

Hi!

1. As far as I know, if you’ve uploaded assets via Composer, they are bundled into the apk/ipa, but otherwise they are downloaded from S3. *EDIT: if the link is static, all images are bundled into the apk/ipa

2. As far as I know, no, unless you ask us to.

I hope this answers your questions to some degree :sweat_smile:

I thought all the images were downloaded from S3. Now this makes me re-think adding large image files now.

1 Like

How do you not know the answer to this question? Doesn’t “team member” mean you work there? I’ve seen many “team members” responding to questions using terms such as, “as far as I know”, and “I think it should be”, which naturally makes one wonder if the staff at this company actually know what is going on :slight_smile:

Yes, well, we answer on the forums to our best knowledge about the things we know about (this is not formal or paid support). I tend to preface things I’m not sure about with “as far as I know”, it’s simply a manner of talking I prefer.

But since answering this and bringing it up with the other team to make sure I wasn’t wrong, I know for a fact that what I stated above is correct, except that any image that is linked directly to the image component (with static url), is also downloaded into the apk/ipa.

I was curious about this because when my app runs for the first time on a new install, the pictures all take a moment to appear as if they are being downloaded. Then every time after that they appear immediately, presumably because they get cached.

Do you have the images as static links or do you use e.g. Formulas or variables to define those? With static links the image should be added to the apk/ipa, but in most other ways the image won’t be part of the apk/ipa. If you already use static links, we need to take a closer look at this.

(Might be possible to test by disabling internet access of your device before launching your app for the first time)

You can also check whether the images are included, at least in the iOS builds, by renaming the .ipa to .zip, opening it and checking under Payload > RNVApp (Show package contents) > images.

They are all static links.

Okay, thanks for the info. I’ll look into this more deeply then.