Launching App-Keystore?

I’m new to launching apps and have no clue what I’m doing. I’ve read the section on Android Keystore in the documentations section and I do not understand what it is saying. I have no coding knowledge, if that makes a difference. I have a Google Developer account from a previous attempt at launching an app through a different builder program.

Download java. Then go to your java install folder, and bin. Inside bin, you will see an app called keytool. You can run it on the command line to create a keystore for your app - that will be a file you will store locally on your computer, and you will use a password and some other info about your app to make that file using the keytool utility. Then you have to upload that file to AppGyver so that that keystore file gets associated with your app.

2 Likes

in command line you have to write sth., but what do we have to write there that it is a full functional keystore file?

I’ve got Java, opened the bin, and found the keytool app, but when I go to click on it, it brings up the command line window for a split second but it disappears.

That’s correct. I will describe how to use the command line below. But there’s another way I found just now: https://headjack.io/tutorial/create-android-keystore-file/ which does not require using the command line. Instead, you can use an open source keystore management system. That method also requires you to download Java, which you have already done. That technique does exactly what you will do below, but in a GUI instead of on the command line. You might prefer using that technique.

If you prefer using the command line, here’s how:

Run cmd as an adminstrator:

Then navigate to your bin folder using the CD command: cd program files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_121\bin

Now you can type the keytool command/instructions provided by AppGyver by typing the following in the command line (you can copy-paste from below and change the my-app-name bit)

keytool -genkey -v -keystore my-app-name.keystore -alias my-app-name -keyalg RSA -keysize 2048 -validity 10000

It will ask you for a username and password for the keystore, but it will not show anything when you type. Don’t let that disconcert you.

It will create file in the bin folder itself. Now you can upload that file. Or you can copy it elsewhere and upload from there.

1 Like

If I were to use the method you suggested from the HeadJack website, what step would I stop at to give that information to AppGyver instead of HeadJack. It seems that HeadJack is a publishing website, which I want done through Appgyver, not them. Am I reading that correctly?

After step 14, where the keystore file has been created. That’s the file you need to copy to a safe place, and the one that is to be uploaded to AppGyver. You will end up at the same point if you use the command line option as well :grin:

If you lose this file, you will not be able to update your android app later. So make copies in multiple secure places and perhaps email yourself a copy of the file.

1 Like

This is the command you would need (after installing java):

keytool -genkey -v -keystore my-app-name.keystore -alias my-app-name -keyalg RSA -keysize 2048 -validity 10000

Replace my-app-name as appropriate

Awesome! Thank you so much for your help! One last thing, I’m on the image asset page. Where will all these images be displayed? Is there an example page so I know what each image section means?

Icons would be shown on your phone’s home and application pages. It’s the icon you click to open the app. Splash screen is the image that is shown while launching the app. Notification icon is for push notifications.

So I don’t have to have an image for all the options available, right? I can just have one for each. If I’m not using push notifications do I need to upload an image for that one?

The different images are for different phones basically. So if you want to catch all cases and resolutions you would need to add an image for every option.

And no you don’t have to add any images you don’t want to, it will default to the AG logo if its not changed.

Okay! So the image sizes are in pixels, right? Like 36 pixels by 36 pixels for the top icon image?

@Emily_Rhoads You could try out using an icon generator like this:
https://www.favicon-generator.org/ or
https://favicon.io/

1 Like

Yes they’re pixels.

blblblblimage