Login with Custom DB (without bubble)

Hi everyone,

Just found AppGyver and loving it. I’m a ex-full-stack developer used to some older systems such as LAMP/WAMP stacks ASP/.NET etc and all the configuration that goes with those - so this is my first NoCode framework.

I’m looking to create a simple tool for our small charity to manage our users, Login (persistent on device), see records, basic CRUD stuff, with a variety of tables etc.

My question is, which settings do I need to be using to get the Authentication on the app to work with a custom backend DB whereby I can check the login credentials, return a valid/verified response, and show the logged-in information for the user?

I’ve been following some tutorials which use Bubble, but the basic version of that doesn’t allow record edits, which means I have to look for something else.

Is AppGyver designed to work with SQL DBs, auth tokens, JSON repos etc?

Just need nudging in the right direction - Many thanks,

James

Hi James, welcome to the community! Glad to hear you are enjoying the product so far.

There are a couple of tutorials for setting up authentication with Backendless and Bubble, which give you an overview of how 3rd party authentication in Composer works even if you would not be using those services in particular.

In a nutshell:

1. You configure the registration and login endpoints in the Data Configurator
  2. You use the Create Record flow function to make a POST request to your endpoint with the user signup info/credentials
  3. You set the user object you got as a response from your API in an app variable, so you can access it in the app.
  4. For saving an auth token / login info for persistent login, you can use the Set / Get / Delete item from storage flow functions.

Composer is designed to work with any backend that has a REST API interface configured. :slight_smile:

Hope this gets you forward!

1 Like

Hi Mari, thanks for the quick reply. After doing a bit of research last night I’ve settled on trying a route with AWS DynamoDB as my backend for a NoSQL-esque structure, and possibly looking at auth0 for token management for logging in users.

I’ve been playing with the auth section in AppGyver so have those storage funtions installed now - just need to learn how to use it in my own custom simple form, authentication tokens, and backed on dynamodb. Do you know of any examples that use this setup? Many thanks

Looking forward to developing with this framework

Hi, sounds good! I unfortunately don’t know of examples using those specific services, but a forum search with auth0 or aws / dynamodb could yield you some results.

Hello Mari, I’d like to update where I am now.

So I’ve followed this tutorial on Auth0 and found it very informative and really useful.

The method I’m currently using is AppGyver > AWS (API Gateway, JWT authorizer, Lambda functions, DynamoDB) with an Authentication Server as Auth0.

In AppGyver I’ve made a button which pulls records from the AWS repo using a GET against the API hosted there. This works nicely.

What I’d like to do now is somehow Login using a numeric ID and numeric passcode, which, if matches, takes the device MAC Address and offers a persistent token to authorize the device without using the Login anymore (so deletes the passcode given as it’s only temporary). This token is the key to using the app in a logged-in state.

What I’m struggling with is the architectural design how I’m using all the services. I’m not sure if I’m over engineering this, and simpler routes are available, or, if AppGyver doesn’t support what I’m trying to do with the AWS and Auth0 combination.

Does anything jump out at you (or anyone), or strike you as obviously a wrong approach in what I’m trying to do? Perhaps I’m trying to research something the wrong way.

Many thanks