Newbie (Nondeveloper) Questions

I am looking to build an app to simplify some of the workflows for our small business, however, I am not a developer and so I have a few basic questions:

1. are there any pre-existing templates? (like a login page and associated logic for example)
  2. once I am done building the app - how do i distribute it to my workforce? through the android/ios app stores? is it free?
  3. where does the app “live”? do i have to download the code and load it somewhere else?
  4. what about our data, where does that live? two of the key things this app will do is create records for our residents (name, email, phone, etc.) and create an invoice that can be directly pulled into QuickBooks online, I figure all that has to be stored somewhere, should i be looking for a different service to host this?

Thanks in advance for any help. Sorry if these seem like obvious questions.

1 Like
  1. If you enable Direct third party authentication type via the Auth section in the global toolbar at the top, you get a barebones login page, where you can then implement your own logic for authing with your backend. Alternatively, you can use the AppGyver hosted user management feature, where we host the users for you. Finally, the Pages section of the Marketplace has a few templates at the moment (namely Pick date). More are coming soon!
  2. Distribution is free if you are a small company. You need to configure your build settings via the Build Service (available under the Launch section in the global toolbar at the top), which will then produce an Android APK or iOS IPA binary as though it was built by you using Xcode/Android Studio, which you can then send to the App Stores. As with any Android apps, you can always distribute the APK directly to your users, and Apple offers Apple Business Manager for closed-group distribution.
  3. The app “lives” in AppGyver’s Cloud (hosted in the US via Amazon Web Services). You can use the AppGyver Preview app from App Store or Google Play to view the app on your device as you develop (or use https://preview.appgyver.com for the web preview), and then once you’re satisfied, package it for distribution to the app stores using the Build Service as described above.
  4. You can use the AppGyver Cloud Storage for your data, though on the free tier, it’s meant for testing rather than full-scale production use. Alternatively, you can host your own backend and connect to it via REST APIs, which can provide more flexibility and control.
2 Likes

I second the request for templates. I would like to see things like a basic project management template, or an expense reporting tool, or a basic invoicing app, or a product catalog app, or a sales lead tracking app.

I would also like to see templates that have dashboards, that have charts or summary views, and that have automated business logic flows

The templates will serve two functions:

1. It will show me what’s possible with this platform, when I compare it with others.
  2. It will help me learn how to use the platform, by playing with existing apps and tweaking them and taking them apart and customizing them and building new apps out of their pieces.
  3. It will help provide some inspiration for things I can do in my own apps.

Thanks!
– Maria

5 Likes

Better than adding templates: a way to import designs from popular design tools such as Figma (free), Adobe XD (free option, or Sketch.

That would open things up to thousands of free and commercial UI kits as well as to designers.

2 Likes

Yup, we hear you; more templates and examples are coming soon!

Figma/Adobe XD/Sketch/Framer etc imports are also planned, though not sure when. One issue is that the UI structure is different in Composer apps (based on tree-like flexbox-based structure instead of freeform placement), but we’ve got some ideas on how to tackle that too.

2 Likes

I agree. As its really difficult to figure out how to get things done by just looking at the documentation. Doing something simple can be difficult and frustrating in Appgyver. For example I am struggling to get horizontal scrolling cards.

So templates will be very useful, or at least have tutorials of how to achieve the basic components of apps (visually and the logic). I know video tutorials take a lot of work, but text with images is enough.

One more who’s struggling to understand the platform…Templates would help a lot!

I can see how a lot of this would be difficult to grasp for non-programmers. The thing is… if AppGyver is going to be offered to non-programmers, then that kind of requires some basic training. Or at least some definitions as to what all these different elements that go into an app are. Things like: fields, records, variables and their types, bindings, objects, properties, styles, components and their types, events and the logic behind events, etc, etc. Just a short paragraph or two would give newbies a much better grasp of what goes where.

Using Figma is especially good for non-programmers. This allows them design what their app might look like, without having to mess with all internals. Such a mock-up could then be handed over to a no-code programmer who could get their project up and running fast. Or, such a app design could even presented to possible investors.

Importing these mock-ups might be redundant. That would be like a front-end to a front-end. I would much rather see, some way to duplicate projects under a new name and share projects with other developers. This way, with all the new screen sharing technologies, now so common place, one developer could help another. Or hire a mentor developer if that was agreeable.

As a developer myself – someone who has been writing code for many years – I am blown away at how close this new Composer Pro is to providing the same level of flexibility, but with an insane level of productivity. I’ve seen a lot of platforms come and go over the years. I think this Composer Pro has finally gotten the no-code paradigm spot on. And… I’m very excited to watch this little company become something big. If you’re at all like me, you might feel like you’re in the right place at the right time. Hang in there newbies… it will be worth the effort.

7 Likes

Harri, do I required a paid account to use REST calls in my app? The REST call works in test, but in the app it doesnt appear to be firing…

No paid account even available that would affect REST integrations — what URL are you calling?

Thanks for the reply Harri,
I also tried local storage and I can’t seem to display a value on a form from either local or REST call. I’ve got to be doing something wrong.

I’m trying this url with an API key:
https://api.bedflow.com/apis/get_ip/@jmacle

In the direct integration config test screen it performs properly and returns the data I’m expecting. I set schema from response, no additional parameters are required its a simple REST call.

I then associate this to a data variable and set as single data record.

I add a title or paragraph field to a form and set the value to the data variable, leave the default flow, preview the form and the field comes up blank.

I followed both tutorials step by step and still can’t get it to work in the app. Test works fine.
Any suggestions on what I could try?

Following along step by step, I got the ToDo tutorial to work on the 2nd try. If you click on the little gear icon in the lower right hand corner, you can slow the speed down, which makes it much easier to follow Harri’s cursor, to see exactly what selections are being made.

I got the Movie database tutorial to work almost perfectly, on rhw 2nd try. Then, rather than starting from scratch again, I decided I’d attempt to recreate the movie database tutorial on my own, only looking at the tutorial as need be. This lead me to the simple task of setting up just the Movie Details page with a Search Box at the top. A much simplified version, but something that would allow me to fully understand exactly what goes where.

This turned out to be more challenging that I thought, and I still can’t say I’ve got this working correctly, but I’ll keep at it. Every time I get frustrated, I ask myself is there a better no-code platform? Have I made the right decision? I know ALL the big no-code players out there, and I occasionally check back to see what’s new AND what’s going on in their forums. (I’d never ever consider a platform without an active forum.)

Conclusion:

Anyway… I ALWAYS come back to Appgyver. Nothing else comes close to Composer Pro’s potential productivity. Is it production ready? Yes and no. Here’s my assessment of the problem. If you know exactly what you’re doing… YEAH, you can develop production ready apps. Composer Pro’s most powerful feature: the ability to bind fields to objects, is also it’s weakness. At least for the moment. Meaning… if you make a wrong selection, there is very little in the way of error messages. The drop down data and field selection menus go half way there. May selections are inactive. Those obviously won’t work. But there’s still a lot of room for error. My problem, (at this point), is that I have yet to grasp the full complexity of the binding paradigm. Between my slow progress and Composer Pro’s rapidly progressing updates, I’m sure at some point we’ll meet and I’ll hit the ground running.

2 Likes

Tks for the motivation @Townsend!

I was able to get into the debugger and I can see that the API is pulling the data and its correct. However it is still not displaying in the fields on the form. I’ve watched the tutorials multiple times and tried this every way from Sunday and still no luck.

Anyone want to slap me with the “connecting an API to a form field” gotcha tip of the week?

In the builder, I didnt type these values, the program pulled them in:

In the preview:

Could it be you’re facing https://tracker.appgyver.com/bug-reports/p/accessing-nested-data-variablecurrent-properties-only-works-via-formula-not-the ?

Can you link to your app ID, I’d like to check it out if that’s alright (I can give myself temporary access)?

Yes for sure, the app ID is 200078
Let me know what you find thanks Harri

The API returns an array instead of a single object, so if you can modify the API to return a single object instead it should work. That said, it’s a bug that the GET RECORD test gives OK if the result is an array.

Ah ok. Got it. I’ve played around with it as an array and its working!
Harri do you see any issue if I continue to use it as an array even though it will only ever return one value?

We would want to be strict about it and the plan was to make Get single record route fail if it returns an array, just so that everything plays together intuitively. If possible, you should make the API return a single object. To get around it, you can always use HTTP request node to get raw data from the backend though.