Question regarding implementing 3rd party video players in an app

Hi, I’ve been having a great time using appgyver so far, but I need to know whether it is possible to embed 3rd party dash/hls players like dashJS, PLYR or Theo.

If yes, how might one go about it? I tried using the built in component of ‘open video player’ but it simply didn’t work for me over multiple tries and I really need a working video player, as the end product being served in the app will be a video.

Have you seen this? I have been able to make it work as is, but am also working on an adaptive bitrate player with the cloudinary sdk that will be alot better. I use an if statement to check if the runtime is native, in which case I send user to native page with the WebView set to the url of the web app with the url to the video appended as url param “url.” If the runtime is not native, I use open url to send user to the url in another browser tab.

1 Like

You can see how it works on web here by clicking play on any of the video articles. You are also welcome to try the native android app. There is a download link on intital page.

1 Like

Thank you Daniel. This looks great. I’ll try to implement this and see if this solution is right for the project. Thanks for making this project.

1 Like

It was the only way I could figure out how to create custom controls. If we just use the url to the video the WebView becomes the standard html videoview with all the undesired default controls. By wrapping the video in its own web app, at least we are able to create custom controls and disable download, Chromecast, and change play button. Plus play YouTube and Vimeo videos. I plan to do more with it, such as pass a user avatar url and maybe some booleans to define whether to display like buttons, the path for which can also be passed in params.

1 Like