[ Tutorial ] How to setup 3rd-Party Authentication (using Bubble as an example backend)

Hi guys, I’ve just created this tutorial (link) that I hope many will find it useful. I can imagine many members here will like to create apps with AppGyver with a 3rd party authentication backend.
In this tutorial I use Bubble as the backend but the concepts will apply to any backend that has user management.

Here is just a high level structure (statemachine diagram) of the example that is built in the tutorial.

Tutorial link
https://seanhoots22.gitbook.io/tutorials/appgyver-3rd-party-authentication-with-bubble

16 Likes

This is so awesome to see, thank you so much! :)))

2 Likes

Yes, really awesome @SeanHoots, thanks !

Did you create an app with Bubble as a web backend ? I will eventually try it to have a native app with offline capabilities, working with my current Bubble app.

I wanted to know if you had any insights about performances and security ? and also if it possible to do some actions like schedule a backend workflow to push a notification at a scheduled time ?

Thanks by advance for your answers which will really help !

All the best

1 Like

Hey @Nicolas_Szczepaniak yes as shown in the tutorial link above i used bubble as the backend.

For performance if you’re talking about speed then it will all depend on how you structure your bubble database and how you write your api workflows. But from my little experience the speed is as expected. In your case where you’re thinking offline capabilities then things should be faster as you will not be always requesting data from the backend anyway.

In terms of security again it all depends on you. Bubble can be as secure it can be. You can use the data privacy setting in bubble and also set your api workflows to require authentication.

Regarding scheduling backend workflows, yes you can definitely do that. Actually anything you can do in bubble you can do - you’re simply replacing the bubble front-end with AppGyver.
For push notifications currently the limitation is from AppGyver’s as there are no actions for getting the device and registering a device for push notification. But once this is done you can use any of the different push notifications plugins in bubble for sending the push notifications.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

2 Likes

thanks very much for your great feedback !

Do you know if getting the device ID is in the Gyver’s roadmap for push notif ? I guess it will be a key feature at some point for many apps ^^.

Maybe it is something that we can get with some js ?

It really help, thanks again !

1 Like

This tutorial is legendary @SeanHoots! :raised_hands:

And not just because it paves the way for all the bubblers out there to finally build the native apps they’ve been dreaming of, but also because of the level of details and explanations you provide along the way.

If you plan on doing more tutorials like this one you should definitely start a Patreon/Ko-Fi!

3 Likes

Thanks @Lucien_Tavano.
Yes I have a number of similar tutorials planned. Only issue now is finding time as I want them to be very detailed so different level of users can follow.

Video tutorials are faster to produce but my only problem with them is that they do not age well especially for a new platform like this which is under active development.

Eventually most of my tutorials will be more of AppGyver hacks to show how to implement features that are not easy to pull off. I’ve used a similar platform like this before so I know of a number of hacks (e.g. how to integrate payment like Stripe that are not natively supported).
Lets see if I find time to do these.

4 Likes

@SeanHoots
This tutorial is of great help to me. Thank you.

I try to integrate Stripe payment to my app. But i has a Stripe data configurator question from the beginning of creating a card token. The resource URL and authorization header works.

CREATE RECORD (POST)

RUN TEST: Record properties

RUN TEST: Test API call response

Any help would be very much appreciated.

1 Like

Great work @SeanHoots! Very detailed tutorial! I might actually test it out soon!

This is awesome. Thank you very much for taking the time @SeanHoots

You are absolutely an amazing person for this man. Idk what to say even.

Sean: great tutorial. I am trying to implement with AirTable as the backend. In the Create record test, the response I get back does not include a token, expiration, or user-id. This is where I am getting stuck. See below: To test the newly created request and generate a response schema, click on the TEST tab and enter some example values. Click on RUN TEST and you should receive a Status: OK response with the returned response data like below.

Any help would be appreciated.