Using appgyver cloud storage for image uploads

Hi,

I am trying to build an app with appgyver as front end and backendless as backend. I need to upload profile pictures for the users. I have explored three options:

1. upload images to backendless through their file upload api (Link: File Upload - Backendless REST API Documentation)
  • I have been blocked on this as backendless required file contents formatted as multipart/form-data and this is not supported through appgyver REST API integration as per another discussion topic in appgyver forum. Is this understanding correct?
  1. Convert image file to base64 and store data in a JSON object in backendless through their data REST apis. I was successfully able to save image data to backendless. However, as explained in convert to base64 flow function, the app crashes when converting large files (photos captured from a smart phone). Also there is a data size limit for JSON object in backendless and I don’t want to compromise the image quality. Does this make this option not viable?

2. Third option is to use appgyver upload file flow function to store images in appgyver cloud. However, as mentioned, appgyver cloud storage is a hobby database and should not be used in production. Will this still work and data integrity is ok?

Please suggest the best option to move forward or any other approach you think would work best for the given use case. Thanks for providing an amazing service to us.

Best,
Ankit

Sorry for the long response time! For backends where the Upload Files flow function does not work out of the box (as I understand it, this includes backends that need multipart/form-data content type), there’s missing functionality.

We put a HTTP multipart/form-data request flow function on the backlog now, as it requires a bit of internal wrangling to get the AppGyver-style file reference object to correctly end up in the body as form data.

Hi Harri, I was able to upload files to Appgyver S3 bucket using upload file flow function, save the download URL in the Backendless database and the retrieve the images later in the app. I will post the full solution that worked for me so other folks who are using Appgyver as frontend and backendless as a backend can benefit from this.

Just want to confirm on one thing: Is there a limit on #of images or total image data that can be uploaded to Appgyver S3 bucket? Is it ok to use this in production? Please note that I am not using Appgyver database for storing download URL etc.

2 Likes

@Mevi : Could you please confirm on the question in the last paragraph? Will include this information in my tutorial so that people using this are clear.

Hi! I had to check what the answer is: We reserve the right to limit unreasonable use. Basically go ahead and use it in production, but if the quantity or size of assets gets far too high in one app, we will limit it. And naturally we make no guarantees of 100% uptime etc.

1 Like

Hello Ankit.
I have been trying to develop a solution to upload and retrieve images to appgyver cloud storage without success, Will you be so kind to share your app/tutorial/solution or anything can help me to solve the problem. I already follow the tutorial “Power up Uploading files” and works for me for local storage, but when i try to replicate it to cloud it does´t work.

I cant find the upload to S3 bucket function in the marketplace . Its still in the documentation. Has this been deprecated as part of the sunset?

Hi @Sim_Sim, the functionality has been disabled for new apps, and will be discontinued for all apps in August.

More info here:

https://forums.appgyver.com/t/ag-auth-ag-cloud-database-and-file-uploads-will-be-discontinued-on-august-1st-2021/

thanks Mari!
I see you just removed documentation now that’s good. The youtube is still up, it was only posted in Feb this one : No-code Power-up: Upload Files /w AppGyver - YouTube

What is now the best way to upload a file so the URL can be referenced in eg airtable or restdb.io ?

Many thanks

I would also like to know…similarly

What is now the best way to upload a file, since upload files does no longer function, so the URL can be referenced for rest api to cloudinary. Cloudinary seems to need URL

Many thanks

Check out Filestack … Ive been using Filestack for over a year and it works well. It allows uploading Base 64 encoded images and other media files with a simple REST API call, which returns a URL value that you can store in Airtable or wherever if you need to. Their Free plan has monthly upload/storage limits but ive never run into them for my use.