What are people talking about when they say AppGyver is not actively supported anymore?

I’ve seen a few comments/threads saying that AppGyver is dead. It’s no longer being actively developed and maintained.

You could draw some evidence of this by the length of time since certain features have been requested and actioned.

In my own development journey I’ve created a functional app but found it can’t do things like google analytics or hotjar tracking codes - stuff that I’d have thought very simple. And there’s plenty of talk of third party react plugin support which would enable easier integration with various number of tooling but it doesn’t seem to be going anywhere.

Wondering if there’s any validity to these claims and where they stem from?

These claims stem from here: https://tracker.appgyver.com/
Dozens and dozens of bugs fix requests, feature requests, new features not taken care of.

When I first stumbled upon AG in the early days of covid lockdown, the situation was catastrophique so I put on hold my project and worked on another one with a different no code tool. Fast forward 2 years, SAP enters into the capital, which I considered a good sign yet the staff is “absent” from the forum, the tool is unstable and many planned fixes / features are still pending.

I’m currently trying to finish my first - and last - project on this platform and will move on to a better one, unless a miracle happens as there seem to be a few kind souls in the forum willing to bring value…

5 Likes

I have to say these concerns are legit and most probably true.

Everything that we have seen, or should I say haven’t seen for the last year is telling us that this tool, the way we knew it, is probably EOL.

This is really unfortunate, because they were really onto something, but since the acquisition by SAP, the game stopped. Since then, tools like FlutterFlow have just overtaken Appgyver in every possible way.

This is a punch in the face for everyone who has invested time and based their business around it.

It can still serve as a powerful tool for prototyping and making simpler apps, but if you are just starting in the low-code world, you should look elsewhere.

1 Like

Can you recommend other No-(Low-)Code Tools for Mobile Apps? I have the same feeling with AppGyver, it probably is powerful but very buggy and not well supported, especially when you run into issues you cannot solve by yourself.

So I am searching for an alternative which is as powerful as AG. Any ideas?

1 Like

My next tool :ok_hand:

And to answer your question RE mobile native app:

1 Like

I went to Flutterflow, whatever happens with this tool I can always recover and do what I want of the code in the Open Source Flutter.

I would come back to Appgyver, I think the team needs time. For the moment, SAP first.

1 Like

you have to pay to use Noodl and appgyver is free. Isn’t there another tool similar to Appgyver? I am new to this and just learning how to use this to develop an app that I feel will make a huge difference to my local community

@kelvin_kasapatu AppGyver is an excellent platform with unique features that are not found in other platforms. However, other platforms have features that AppGyver does not have. The most important thing is that if you have an idea and the necessary add-ons, such as flows, widgets, functions, etc., are available in AppGyver, I recommend that you start with AppGyver.

As for the negative comments you may read, many of them come from people who require advanced features that are not available in the free version of AppGyver (including myself). It is understandable that developers do what they can to keep the builder running, but there are many features that have not been updated that have been promised for years. Although it is important to keep in mind that the pandemic has changed the game, but it has been a while and we are still waiting.

The free version of AppGyver offers many tools to create a powerful application, but there are users who want more and need certain advanced functions to compete with other developers in the market. As you learn and master AppGyver, you may reach a point where you need certain advanced functions to make your applications more competent.

Here, no one can despise AppGyver. On the contrary, we all want AppGyver to become the best free and most powerful paid platform on the market. We hope that AppGyver will shake up its competition, especially because AppGyver bears the SAP signature.

Hey there,

I don’t know what are you basing your opinion on and how much time have you invested in Appgyver (AG) till now, but I have to disagree with certain things you have written and offer some more insights into the state of things in AG, at least from our team’s perspective. I think it is important to talk frankly so that everyone who is evaluating this platform as their tool of choice could make a fact-based decision.

A little bit of background first. We are a team of two, both low-coders and self taught. We have 2-3 years of time invested in AG between the two of us. We have started building an MVP for a project management app in AG. It’s a mobile first solution with web deployment too. Our goal is not to develop a prototype, but a functional product. We are using Xano as our backend and are very happy with it.

In the beginning of every journey in AG, everything seems delightful. One is able to quickly create something that feels as a real app and do that without code. For someone who is not a developer, you suddenly feel like a super hero. Ideas start flowing and you are excited to finally turn one of them into a product or a startup. This is amazing and I salute AG, Bubble, FlutterFlow, Xano and all other companies out there who are democratising software development and making technology accessible in this way.

Once you start digging deeper into your project, you start running into issues and limitations. The funny thing is, that those issues are actually simple things and not advanced at all. I am not talking here about the fact that we can’t import 3rd party react native plugins in AG, no, no, I am talking about simple, every day things that are causing you to spend countless hours in trying to come up with workarounds. You start searching forums and watching every youtube video out there, thinking you might find a solution for it. Eventually you run into a bug report about it, that is two years old and still in the queue. There is no feedback if someone is working on this and will it be ever fixed. Now, multiply this by a factor of 10 and you end up with a tool that can’t fulfil your business goals. You love it and hate at the same time.

For us, this is a real operational and business challenge, to say the least. We have invested considerable amount of time and money into our project and are struggling to deliver on promises to our piloting customers. As the app grows and grows we are running into performance issues too. Things are not as smooth and as fast as they were in the beginning. Simple things that you haven’t noticed before are turning into headaches.

Well, we said to ourselves, let’s switch to the payed version of SAP Build Apps, hopping to find some magical version of AG that works better. After having to wait 2 weeks for the approval by SAP, we finally got it. What did we find there? The same good old AppGyver. It’s not some other tool that has more features, is quicker or doesn’t have certain bugs. Nope. It’s the same thing, it’s just called different. Well, it’s actually less than the community edition, since building the native app is (currently) not supported.

We would happily pay for AG, but I think the pricing has to be similar to FlutterFlow (25-75€ plans) and not some 1.000€ / month plans that are coming from the SAP world.

For all the above mentioned reasons, I would suggest someone who is just entering the field of low-code/no-code to put their bets on another tool. From everything I am seeing, FlutterFlow seems to be doing all good things, but there are others too.

Alternatively, if someone chooses AG as their tool of choice, they should keep in mind the limitations and lower their expectations before you go that deep, that it’s costly to get out.

A year ago, when FlutterFlow (FF) was behind AG in certain things, it was much easier to make this decision. One year after, everything has changed. AG has stagnated and is drowning in the SAP’s world, while FF is a flying rocket.

I want to finish be listing some of the things that are causing us headaches, thus demonstrating we are mostly not asking for advanced things:

As you can see, some of these issues can be tracked to 2,5 years ago. This is not a definitive list by any means, just the top 10 that I could think of off the top of my head.

I haven’t even mentioned the slowness of the composer when a component is selected and styling needs to be changed, or that there is no pagination, filtering and sorting control via variables on the REST API endpoints (making data components useless and making lazy loading not possible), or that the “tree” window and “control” window should be separated in two for better usability, etc, etc. It all adds up very quickly once you try to make something production-ready.

I don’t know what is happening inside SAP and why has the team lost the momentum they had. I presume they are not getting enough resources, since AG is probably just a hobby for SAP, but it is not my place to make a definitive opinion about the unknown facts. Maybe some key people left because of the buyout and they were not able to recover from it. I just know that our team is not in a great position and we would love AG team to know that all the decisions that are being made over there have real consequences to us and our business.

I think this is my last call for something to change soon, otherwise, we will have to think about a plan B and start executing that ASAP.

If that happens, I will be grateful to this group of people for contributing to the democratisation of software development by creating such a great tool and would be very sad that it didn’t work out.

6 Likes

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer this question. As I am not a software developer nor coder, I am still interested in making an APP. A simple one rather than go the website route. Firstly because of the low cost involved with Appgyver and also that I can manage the App myself.
Ok, the App I want to build is basically a App where my community folk can apply for a low cost loan. Most of the women in my cousin’s village do not have access to funds and I thought that having a bit of money in the bank, I could use that to lend them the money, they can buy goods to sell and then they pay me back with little or no interest at all. The issue I have will be the back end bit where I will have to set up payment from my PayPal account to their mobile money account and vice versa. The point of my App is not to make money from these people but to use my money to help them better their lives without putting a burden on repayment terms nor their families. Bank loans are extortionate and I am hoping I could be a good Citizen for them. Just like Appgyver is free until you start making millions of Dollars. If I can achieve this using Appyver then happy days otherwise I might have to try Noodl or FlutterFlow. It is a shame if APPGYVER is EOL as it is a great tool and it would be nice if there was some response from their team regarding the community’s concerns.

@Diagonal_Movil Thank you for you reply. I would like very much to continue with this and I will wait for a response from the Appgyver team, If there still is one.
I would rather stay on this platform but the signs are not promising…
Mine is a very simple App, 2 - 3 pages were folk in my village can apply for a loan for example £100 and all they payback is £102.50 after 2 months. this is to help them buy good to sell and not burden them with huge repayment interest fees. Do you think this is achievable with Appgyver in its current state?

Totally doable with AppGyver although your PayPal payment flow won’t be secure unless you use server side flow where the PayPal API is run and the API key is stored.

First of all thank you for responding. The idea is when a person applies for a loan, I have already setup a paypal account which the money will come from and then pay into their mobile money wallet and vice versa when they repay the loan. The transaction should be secure as it is paypal that will be processing this, or does it not work that way?

Right, so you initiate the Paypal fund transfer in the background, so it is secure.
You can do it all with AppGyver.

Great summary. I´m in a different position as my app is published, live and working via AG. I just need to do periodic improvements. But I also need to ensure I always have a way forward, so it seems time to start planning for the end of AG.

I´ve just signed up to flutterflow. My first impressions are really good. I think once I´ve spent a few days there I will be able to do everything I can do in AG. A really simple thing I spotted straight away - for a button you can choose the action type based on single tap, double tap or long tap. In AG I have logic and page variables all over the place to achieve this lol.

I will start a slow build of my app there and make sure my app is well documented here in AG in case I need to move quickly.