What to know before publishing to app stores - Tips from the community!

Hello Composer Creators! :dizzy:

We have a fresh blog post out that I hope you’ll find helpful: What you need to know before publishing to app stores (Part 1)

This is the first part of a series that will cover unexpected challenges/problems in app distribution.

My question for you folks: What other obstacles have you faced in getting an app published? Something you didn’t expect? Or you wish someone had told you before you started?

From Google - no obstacles whatsoever. From my observation I don’t think they actually employ any real Humans to test anything, i think it’s all automated by scripted programs. I’ve never had an app update or new submission rejected for anything by them. To prove my theory, my latest app requires a user login to access (i provide test login keys for Google to use), it then writes a login timestamp to the database after logging in. Ive never seen one single timestamp written to my database during any of their “testing”, so whatever “testing” they are doing they aren’t doing anything at all past the login screen.

From Apple - In contrast to Google - they actually do hire real Humans for testing, and they are very particular, very methodical, almost clinical to the point that getting my apps through their review process is comparable to a very long and uncomfortable dentist visit. They do a very thorough job of trying to find every single guideline your app violates and will not hesitate to let you know right away (one of my submissions was rejected within 15 them minutes of receiving it) To their credit they do go to great lengths to inform you of the specific problems in detail ( cross-referenced with the associated guide lines) and even instruct what you must do to correct them. So just be on your Ps and Qs when submitting to Apple, and make sure your meta-data/screen-shots are all up-to-date and accurate as well.

3 Likes

Hi John,

Hoping you have a couple of minutes to share your thoughts on my likely issues with Apple.

My app is an adventure hunt, also requiring a login, but its a one-way journey, so you can´t go back to the stages you have passed. Should I give Apple a button to reset the credentials? I can make its visibility tied to the specific login details.

My app also requires you to be in a specific location before moving on to the next step, so I have a test button - tied to test login details - allow you to skip the location check.

Thoughts?

Cheers, Phil

@Phil_Evans Hey Phil, I guess the best way would be to Apple the app as you intended to look in the prod env. and if something will be wrong/not according to their guidelines, they will let you know what exactly has to be fixed. Otherwise, it’s just guessing. :slight_smile:

Thanks.

But without these buttons they won´t be able to access most pages. About 3 pages in they will be asked to walk down the street to the park. When their GPS location is within 15m of a defined spot then a button appears to move on.

I can´t imagine they will want to go spoofing their GPS location just to pretend to be where I need them to be? Or do you know if they have tools to bypass logins etc and see inside the App in other mysterious ways?

That I don’t know, however, I would still send it to them. You will get feedback on that and you can go from there. You can always take a look at Google if someone had a similar app, but in my opinion, that’s too much hassle while sending the app to Apple is much easier. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had an app I was trying to get approved for families and kids with user generated content and user to user interaction come under such heavy scrutiny with Google it was crazy. They have a set of teachers who personally review every app and nitpick everything. Users must be able to block other users, block any content, instant report and moderation. I finally gave up and published it without the approved for families seal.

1 Like

If you have a webview its practically impossible to get it approved for families. I also gave up and launched without the families seal.

Apple have never done more than login on my app. They haven´t seen most of the pages. Google have never even logged in. I have had about 6 updates with each of them.

It funny because just this morning I got an email from Google about an app that has been live on the playstore for almost 2years. Their reviewer person found a political article in my app they did not agree with, commented “ho,” then flagged the app for removal be ause they said the author has no way to flag the comment. They used the test account I gave them and ignore our documentation that all writers must be approved by us first before they can even write or comment, and that any author can remove any comments on their articles. They just did not like the politics of the article and have set out to destroy the app. Oh well this is why I am trying to build a new app store altogether.