XANO vs Backendless Comparison

Disclaimer: I’m not an expert. The following info is based on only 1.5 hours of research, but hopefully this thread can give someone else a head start on their own search.

Here’s my summary:

• Firebase is more powerful than either, but requires more expertise to take advantage of all that. Personally, I ruled this out and was thus comparing other options.
  • XANO is quite user-friendly with excellent onboarding and hands-on support, but lacking in some features.
  • Backendless is an intermediate level platform that falls somewhere in the middle, but leaning towards the easy-to-use side of the spectrum.

Below is a screenshot of my comparison table. I’ll paste the text afterwards so that it’s searchable.

Along with pros/cons, I have a row for pricing and file storage because my use case involves plenty of image and other file uploads.

I didn’t include the nitty gritty details of their plans because if you want that you can just look at their pricing pages. Plus both companies allow you to customize your plan by increasing limits for specific features.

Text version of the table:

XANO

Pros
• Excellent onboarding
• Great tutorials and hands-on support
• More intuitive and easy to use
• Built-in authentication with 3rd party providers (e.g. Login with FB)

Cons
• Monthly plans are more expensive
• Less features because its a newer player in the field
• No push notifications, but has email and SMS
○ May be able to use 3rd party service like Ably Core, but that’s not yet well documented

Pricing and file storage
• Free plan file storage: 1 GB for images only (watermarked)
• Paid plan A at $67 USD / month: 10 GB
• Additional 10 GB = $5 / month

Backendless

Pros
• More features
• Less expensive
• Push notifications built-in
• Built-in authentication with 3rd party providers (e.g. Login with FB)
• Good support community

Cons
• Less intuitive platform
• Need knowledge of some technical terms
○ But it sounds like if you can figure out AppGyver you should be able to figure out Backendless
• They also provide a no-code frontend. Does this distract them from doing one thing (backend) really well?

Pricing and file storage
• Free plan file storage: 1 GB for any files, no watermark
• Paid plan A at $35 USD / month: 10 GB
• Additional 10 GB = $5 / month

If you spot any errors please feel free to point them out and I’ll make a correction.

6 Likes

With the amount of support available in the forum for Firebase I wouldn´t rule it out so quickly. When using Firefoo as well to manage uploads and downloads its quite good. The logging is also very detailed.

3 Likes

I totally agree. If something is not possible with the Firebase Connector maybe the idea is wrong behind the task. I am speaking of my own experience. But I would still agree with the fact that to make “good” use of it one has to have some understanding of the way how noSQL databases are structured and what are the best practices.

2 Likes

Very interesting !
Agree with @Phil_Evans , there is a lot of resources on this forum for Firebase.
I have already used Xano, for simple projects, but it’s a bit expensive.
I have to try Backendless again.

1 Like

One factor for me choosing Firebase is if there is a customer affecting issue. A simple statement of “Googles database server is down” will not be met by a single customer complaint. Alternately, saying Xano / Backendless is having issues will have at least some asking why I didn´t use a more robust (read as well known) solution.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the replies and encouragement! I’m now going to consider Firebase as well.

I have very little experience with MySQL (I’ve used phpMyAdmin to fix the odd WordPress site) and even less with noSQL (I’ve heard of it but never touched it).

Could you please suggest a good resource for learning the best practices for noSQL and/or Firebase?

I checked out the Firebase pricing and it looks much more affordable than XANO or Backendless. Unless I’m reading it wrong, storing many GBs of images is exponentially cheaper as well.

I assume with XANO/Backendless you pay for the ease-of-use convenience.

Ah, I like the way you’re able to CYA by telling the truth. It’s like if Google’s service is down, the customer won’t think it’s your fault.

1 Like

Great questions. But I don´t know much more than “I got it working and its doing what I want.” So please take a lack of useful links from me as I can´t suggest any rather than I´m not sharing :slight_smile:

I´m also not using authentication, but the access rules are fairly easy to configure either way.

But I do love Firefoo. Check it out. I use it to import, export and query my data.

1 Like

I started to learn about noSQL through these videos:

Then of course the Firebase documentation was really helpful, but this articles clarified a lot more things:

But a few helpful concepts:

1. keep data as “flat” as possible. Design several collections of data records on the same level. (That is avoid subcollections and nesting several layers of objects in the same data record.)
  2. Always try to minimise the read counts, this can be achieved by careful referencing between the collections. (Example: have a users collection and a list of articles written by them. Instead of having a list of article IDs in the user data record, have a userId property of the article data record and filter the data according to that.)
  3. For some static data records use HTTP requests instead of the connector. For example you want to provide a multingual app, but don’t want to go throught the build process each time. In this case create a collection in Firebase for “utilities” which might have a few different data records with different schema. By using HTTP requests You can query single data records and not specify the schema to avoid creating several different collections.

These were just a few ideas I usually keep in mind. Hope that it can help a little bit.
Cheers,
Mihály

4 Likes

We are building an MVP with Xano in the backend. It’s been fine for now, but we’re considering switching to Backendless since we have to pay $67 monthly just because they limit you with 500 API requests per day, which you will exceed just by testing the endpoints on a daily basis. If it were not for that limitation I would say Xano would be a good choice for the MVP.

In terms of building a production ready, scalable app on Xano, and for that matter in Appgyver, we’ll see how that goes. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

For me personally I would go with Xano. They are a dedicated no-code backend only provider and I prefer a relational database (if comparing to firebase). A bit pricey compared to firebase - Guess it comes down to how you structure your data in firebase. Xano also has good learning resources.

I find Backendless super-slow from the pacific (NZ). For me its always turnoff to find a backend provider that cant provide multi-region hosting in their basic plans. Then to have them get sucked into this table limit scam is another turnoff.

Back4App is also another provider. Its a parse solution using Mongodb I think. Anyway the front end is made to be like a relational db.

1 Like